Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's Charles Bukowski's birthday

     In honor of what would be his 91st birthday,  I'm taking my buddy the Hawk on a scenic tour of the local gutter system ( by way of drinking Cutty Sark for dinner). The guy's a literary hero of mine. I admire the grit and the honesty of Bukowski's writing more than anything. I like the realism and all of the gruesome details. It reminds me when I'm missing something in my life; be it a good drama or a key ingredient in a dish. Okay, I've gotta eat something. I'm skipping the Cutty For now. So dinner in a rush because there's booze to consume an skirts to consort with. I like a big carb-heavy meal early when i'm about to start a bender. It's almost on the grand scale of date food or dinner party pretty food. I plan it big. Eating a pre-Bender meal helps me pace myself with the early drinking and it gives me the strength and nourishment I need to last me until 7am. When, regardless of the sleep I have or haven't had I have to go to work and punch the clock by 8.  Tonight didnt work that way. This bender was sprung on me. I didn't have time to prepare one of the greatest meals prepared in god's history nor did i have the time to pray or say grace beforehand. There were women drinking at a strip club waiting on me.  i was stuck with whatever I could prepare and consume in five minutes.

I threw together this:

Fresh Ciabatta fried in butter. and a scramble with as may complimentary leftovers as I could dredge from the depths of my fridge.








recipe:
2 slices toast
2 eggs beaten with 1 tp water
lefovers: budwiser simmered Black beans, wilted spinach, sauteed red bell & portobello  mushrooms, 1/4 C grated cheese, and 2 cherry tomatoes for garnish.

1. using a large saute pan you need to get the toast toasting w/ a bit of melted butter.
2. Once one side is golden flip the toast and clear the middle of the pan for your leftovers.
3. Once they're good and warmed up throw your cheese on top to start the melting,
4. pour your eggs right over the top. I like to use a rubber spatula to keep it all together and away from my toast.
5. pull the toast, pour the scrambled egg mixture in the middle of your plate, decorate, adorn, garnish, and devour.



I'd write more but somehow I think I've got more important things to do. Like find how low, low is and how long it takes to travel 2 blocks home when crawling through a gutter clutching an empty bottle of cutty in one hand and an empty bottle of beer in the other

No comments:

Post a Comment